COAT Video Tutorial
COAT: Assessment at PPCC: Process for Improvement
PPCC will promote a diverse, supportive, and challenging environment that celebrates our strengths and encourages student success. Assessment of learning outcomes will identify, define and integrate educational objectives and strategies to enrich the education of students.
Using data unique to our college community, we will implement a time based plan to continuously improve the quality of curricula, instruction, and student learning.
College Outcomes Assessment Team (COAT) Charge
The charge of the COAT is to:
- Establish a common language and shared conceptual understanding to define outcomes assessment for and communicate it to students, faculty, and members of the community.
- Establish a vision for the assessment process by articulating outcomes, defining the method of delivery, and determining the means for evaluation.
- Define the connection between assessment and the institutional strategic plan.
- Focus on and identify what activities we should have as part of our assessment process.
- Recommend a budget that allows for ample support of the people involved in and the processes of assessment.
- Ensure that the importance of and commitment to assessment are communicated to the Leadership Council.
- Ensure that assessment is a process established, supported, and evaluated by faculty and that faculty have trust in the process.
- Establish a process for using data, incorporating both quantitative and qualitative research to make recommendations to faculty and bring about meaningful change.
- Maintain a positive and ongoing evolution in student learning as part of the assessment process.
- Create a one-year, two-year, and five-year plan for outcomes assessment.
- Use the celebration of achievements as a means of supporting assessment.
- Evaluate assessment processes and results on a regular basis, documenting where students are meeting the intended outcome, where they are not meeting the outcome, and decisions to improve the program and assessment plan
Student Learning Outcomes
General Education Outcomes
These outcomes apply to the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science, and Associate of Applied Science degrees.
To read the outcomes in detail, please go to www.ppcc.edu. Select Academics and then Assessment. They're also available on the COAT page in myPPCC.
- Community Skills
- Critical Thinking
- Information Literacy
Career and Technical Education Program Outcomes
Each Career and Technical Education (CTE) program identifies its own student learning outcomes specific to its program. For a list of CTE program outcomes, contact Rebecca Hicks or Cindy Kamilar.
Transfer Degree Program Outcomes
Transfer degree programs identify outcomes at the department and/or course level. For information on transfer degree program outcomes, contact Rebecca Hicks or Cindy Kamilar.
College Prep Departmental Outcomes
The College Prep Math and College Composition and Reading departments identify outcomes at the department and/or course level. For more information, contact Rebecca Hicks or Cindy Kamilar.